Applicant Qualifications and Criteria
- Be a student at a public school in grade 6-11 in the U.S. or Puerto Rico
- Be enrolled in and returning to public school the following year
- Be under the age of 18 as of the application deadline (January 13th, 2023)
- Have permission to participate from a parent or guardian
- Plan to attend a reputable/high-quality after-school theatre program or summer theatre study program.
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0 (a B average).
- Demonstrate exceptional talent as a theatre performer, designer, director, writer, or composer and display a genuine interest in pursuing a career in the theatre (per audition or work sample.)
- Provide one teacher reccomendation and two additional references
- Demonstrate financial need (as determined through references and statements).
TRAINING OPPORTUNITY CRITERIA
Training Scholarship opportunities will be evaluated based on the following criteria, as researched by the American Theatre Wing Staff:
- The opportunity will be sponsored/housed at or hosted by a not-for-profit institution
- The program or opportunity will have a defined beginning and end
- The program will have a reputation for quality training
Looking for a Training Program? Click here for a helpful list to start your search!
Training Scholarship recipients will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Diversity (populations historically marginalized in our industry and professions)
- Financial Need (demonstrated by statements and financial information i.e. household size, tax filing status, estimated annual income, etc.)
- Artistic achievement, talent, and potential (demonstrated by video audition and/or work samples required)
- Interest in pursuing a career in theatre (demonstrated by personal statement and references)
Read Our Frequently Asked Questions
Look at Our Tips and Preparation Help
Start an Application
Back to the American Theatre Wing Homepage